Wednesday 4 June 2014

SDE Ember Mage [WIP - Red cloak and gold trimmings]

Being able to get my hands on some Vallejo Model Colour and Reaper Master Series acrylic paints meant I could finally try out a new red cloak paint recipe (adapted from a Jen Haley video tutorial) on the Super Dungeon Explore Ember Mage. For the gold trimmings, I used the old Citadel paints.

Super Dungeon Explore Ember Mage - WIP on cloak and trimmings
Colour scheme reference used for the Ember Mage
Acrylic paints used to paint the Ember Mage's cloak and its trimmings

To get as close as possible to the original Ember Mage colour scheme, I needed to paint the cloak an earthy red. In order to achieve this hue, I used a combination of Vallejo Model Color Red and Carmine Red as well as Reaper Master Series Mahogany Brown. These colours were mixed in varying ratios and painted sequentially with each layer redder than the next. However, care was taken not to make the final colours too red so as to maintain an earthy brownish look.  

Gold trimmings complemented the red cloak well
Super Dungeon Explore Ember Mage - Cloak and trimmings (side view, left)
 
Meanwhile, the gold trimmings the Ember Mage's cloak were painted using a selection of browns and white from the old Citadel acrylic paint line (Scorched Brown, Bubonic Brown, Snakebite Leather and Skull White). I liked how the Citadel colours combined to give the trimmings a gold-like quality.

Red is one of my favourite colours to paint
Super Dungeon Explore Ember Mage - Cloak and trimmings (back view)
Tip of the hood had the brightest red

I love working with Vallejo Model Color acrylic paints as those I have used so far give me a very smooth texture. That they are not as chip-resistant as the Vallejo Game Color or Reaper Master series range is not too much of an issue for me as most of my miniatures are display pieces. Also, thus far I have found that Vallejo Model Color, Reaper Master Series and Citadel mix well together (as they should since they are all water based acrylic paints) so I am a happy camper as my paint collection grows slowly but steadily. Though it's good to try and mix colours now and again to better understand colours, having a good selection of colours does make painting easier and faster.

Ouch ... looks like I missed some mould lines on the Ember Mage's hood
I was tempted to sculpt some flames for the staff head but left it well alone in the end

Having gotten off to a relatively good start on the Super Dungeon Explore Ember Mage, I am hoping it will get even better from here on out. Until my next update, stay safe, healthy and happy!

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. That she is ... though I hope she still is after I have finished painting her.

      Delete
  2. That colour is wonderful, really rich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep ... I am loving these Vallejo Model Colors.

      Delete
  3. Hey, that is turning out really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the colour of the cloak!
    well done.
    bye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks luca ... I was happy that the texture turned out smooth.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks spunkybass ... I am relieved that I managed to get close to the original colour scheme. ^_^

      Delete
  6. I love the way you painted the cloak and the hood! let's wait for the next step :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fed ... let's hope the next step is worth the wait. :)

      Delete
  7. A great start, the red is very well done, gold is nice too, but the red here is my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adam ... I love the results that the Vallejo Model Colors gave in combination with the Reaper paint.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...