Thursday 3 July 2014

Ax Faction Victorian Darling [Completed]

Having taken forever to paint the Victorian Darling aka Kraken Hunter, I made one final push to complete work on the Ax Faction 32-mm miniature. So with her hat, bustle, pistol and lamp painted and her white vest repainted in teal/turquoise colours - the Victorian Darling is presented below in all her glory, warts and all. She was a challenging piece but one well worth the effort.

Ax Faction Victorian Darling aka Kraken Hunter
Vest was repainted in teal/turquoise to complement her boots
Ax Faction Victorian Darling aka Kraken Hunter, side view (left)

Originally based on an anime character called Squid Girl, the Victorian Darling's colour scheme underwent metamorphosis from a simple white-sky blue combination into something almost unrecognisable that you see before you.  It was based on a wedding theme I saw online (see photo below) that incorporated a orange-teal/turquoise-white-blue-brown colour scheme.


Although changing the Victorian Darling's vest from white to teal/turquoise reduces the contrast between her hair and clothes, I went ahead and did it anyway because the alternative was a badly painted white vest. I couldn't get a decent result for the white vest so its colour had to be changed.

Her long and flowy bustle was well sculpted
Victorian Darling's pistol is kept in a light-orange holster
Red tentacles on the base as well as yellow hat provide some warmth to contrast the clothes' cool colours 

For comparison, I shot a photo of the Victorian Darling without her bustle on. A 360 degree view of her with and without her bustle can be seen in the YouTube video towards the end of this blog post.

Victorian Darling's bustle which was painted greyish-blue
Victorian Darling feeling drafty without her bustle

360 view of Ax Faction's Victorian Darling aka Kraken Hunter
For a 360 degree view of the Ax Faction Victorian Darling 32-mm scale miniature, please check out the YouTube video below. For other videos, please visit my YouTube channel FourEyedMonster Miniatures. Also be sure to choose the high definition (HD) option when viewing the videos.


So yet another fun piece is done and dusted which means one less work-in-progress (WIP) miniature on my paint table. But knowing me and my bad habits, it will likely be replaced by even more new miniatures to paint thus adding to my already overflowing project pipeline. Like the Borg collective, miniatures on my to-do list continue to grow exponentially and resistance is sadly futile. All Star Trek geekery aside, I wish you a pleasant week ahead, or what's left of it anyway.     

http://shireworks.blogspot.com/p/ax-faction.html

18 comments:

  1. I think it works quite well actually. The limited pallet plays well off the hat and kraken's claws :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Zab. ^_^
      In hindsight, I think I should have left the vest white as the loss in contrast affected the overall look very negatively.

      Delete
  2. very good job as usual!
    live long and prosper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ... live long and prosper to you too. :)

      Delete
  3. Great paint as always , love the color dress and the base .
    Cheers .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of the best bases I have seen sold together with a miniature and I enjoyed painting it. Ax Faction miniatures almost always have awesome bases. :)

      Delete
  4. Great job! Nice work with the color palette, not too common and very tasteful. Lots of nice effects done well too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks spunkybass. Much appreciated ^_^

      Delete
  5. I love the blue, oh maybe I've told that a couple of times before but tuat's a true. You've done a pretty good job on this statue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fed. ^_^ To be absolutely honest, I may haveI messed up big time because of the change in colour from white to teal/turquoise for her vest. That little innocent change (or so I thought) in one stroke destroyed any contrast I had achieved between her hair and clothes and made things look more one dimensional. But I was really happy with how the hat turned out ... lol ^_^

      Delete
    2. Well, whatever you messed up it's totally invisible in the end, so you are right to be happy :D Really again congrats: it's a superbe work!

      Delete
    3. As always ... I am delighted you liked it. ^_^

      Delete
  6. Wooo, the combination of colours makes her look gorgeous! I love how wonderfully have you managed the different tones of blue there. Great, great work! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ... I was (and still am) afraid that the tones would merge into one big flat colour. I am glad you can catch the different tones despite the overly bright photo ... I suspect my lamps were a bit too close to the miniature. ^_^

      Delete
  7. I like how the skin color shows through the socks and shirt.. Nicely done bro

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful and so sexy, excellent work with great details...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...