Saturday 7 April 2012

Assault on Black Reach - First painted model

It has taken a long time but I have finally finished painting a miniature from the Assault on Black Reach (AoBR) set. While better late than never, I do have mixed feelings with the end result.

Ultramarine Terminator (Front and Back view)
Ultramarine Terminator (Side views)

I was reasonably happy with how the blue armour turned out, but I kinda messed up the whites. Based on the pictures shown in the AoBR manual, the Games Workshop team painted such smooth looking whites. One reason could be that I did not follow the advice given in White Dwarf No.359 which suggested layers of a mixture of Space Wolves Grey and Graveyard Earth before ending with pure Skull White. As I am in a hurry to paint as quickly as I can (before AoBR becomes yesterday's starter set), I just went with Skull White --> Badab Black Wash --> Skull White.

Does anyone know of a quick way to paint smooth looking whites? Any suggestions are most appreciated. At least I have three more Termies to practise on before I attempt to paint the Ultramarine Terminator Sergeant.

Other progress on the AoBR set included assembly and undercoating of the vehicles i.e. the Ork Deffkopters and an Ultramarine Dreadnought.

Deffkopters and Dreadnought primed for paint.

Book of the Week - The Red King
Taking a short break from Black Library books to indulge in some Star Trek sci-fi stuff I have had in my collection for a long time.


At the moment, I am trying to reconnect to the Star Trek reading materials by jumping in to the series in a chronological order. At the moment, I am at Star Trek Titan - The Red King by Andy Mangels and Michael A. Martin. I am a fan of the authors' earlier work i.e. Star Trek Excelsior:Forged in Fire.

As always, thank you for reading and have yourself a good week.

6 comments:

  1. When I paint my SH termis (still painting... there is an ass tons of termis and genestealer ="=), I come across this problem as well, the white is just too hard to hand painted evenly and smooth, I end up slapping layers and layers of undiluted skull white...

    But then I saw the trick of putting brown before painting gold, so I apply this theory by using grey then slap on white, seems to be workin (not really silky smooth though, but acceptable)...

    So I guess it's :

    1.) Hand painting : grey (any foundation grey? I'm using Fortress Grey) -> wash -> white -> touch up

    or

    2.) Spray/Airbrush -> wash -> touch up the white

    ps: clean color are hard to paint =..=

    ReplyDelete
  2. hope this helps..

    my recipe for white:
    GW Astronomican Grey
    VGC Ghost Grey
    Vallejo Wash Pale Grey
    Highlight - VGC Ghost Grey & VGC White Primer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use grey to paint white aswell. I use fortress grey followed by several thin layers of Skull White. You can use a light blue as a base to give it a 'cold' white or a light cream colour as a base to give it a 'warm' feel aswell. You should apply the skull white in at least two layers as I find that that colour has a tendency to be quite thick and will dry slightly lumpy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job on the termis. I think the other comments are spot on with painting white. Prime and base coat white if possible, if not, build up to white with successive, thinned layers so you don't obscure detail.

    Ron, From the Warp

    ReplyDelete
  5. @limp, vuel, snake88 and ron ... thanks so much for your advice guys. =) As my Termies are the first 'squad' I am painting individually rathar than batch paint, it will give me an opportunity to test out all your methods (or variations of) in each subsequent termie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously.. that is a nice looking Ultramarines. Looking forward for more of em blue boys

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...